Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are you watching?

Go down 
+7
Xid
Fundy
topshot rhit
MikeInFla
rockerVu2
Staybrite
alldatndensum
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Normaniac

Normaniac

Number of posts : 1448
Registration date : 2018-04-12

What are you watching? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2024 9:05 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
The Bourne movies are top notch, love em
Got the whole enchilada on blu ray recently.

Guilty/Forgiven and Hardkore like this post

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2024 6:49 pm

We finally watched the first season of The Chosen. I have mixed feelings about how much was added, surmised, guessed at. I overlooked it all until they had Simon Peter yelling at God in his boat. I don't know what he was like outside of Scripture, but I doubt he yelled at God. My wife wants to watch the next couple seasons but I'm a little leery about putting fiction in my mind.

Staybrite and Normaniac like this post

Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2024 7:02 pm

^I haven't seen The Chosen - nor do I have any plans to - but everything I've read about it is quite alarming to me.  It's produced by Mormons and they have a mixed-faith board of folks who approve what gets put into the show.  I have a special needs friend who loves it and exclaimed how he never knew that one of the disciples (Matthew or Luke, I think?) was autistic.  Of course there's no evidence that he ever was, but that's how they portrayed him in the show and therefore my friend thought it was true.  That's a relatively harmless and benign "artistic liberty", but it seems like they're getting more and more brazen with their changes and additions as time goes on, and the director himself has said some pretty theologically out-there stuff in interviews and whatnot.  I suggest going with your gut on this one and avoiding it!

Guilty/Forgiven and Normaniac like this post

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2024 7:06 pm

That just cements it for me. I had a bad feeling about it but didn't know any of that, alarming to say the least

kerrick and Normaniac like this post

Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2024 8:23 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
...I'm a little leery about putting fiction in my mind.

This is why I don't have any desire to watch.

Guilty/Forgiven, kerrick and Normaniac like this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2024 8:45 pm

I have seen all three seasons and loved it.

Are their some fictional moments?  Yes, it is a TV show.  Does it make you want to go back and read the actual accounts from the Bible?  Yes!  This is the point of the show in the first place.

I will gladly keep watching this.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/

Guilty/Forgiven likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Normaniac

Normaniac

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2024 9:27 pm

I watched the first season, but upon subsequent interviews with Dallas Jenkins and the Mormon-influenced entourage, I have avoided it like the plague since.

Guilty/Forgiven and kerrick like this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23430
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 10:35 am

Hardkore wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Hardkore wrote:
The Hunt for Red October
Patriot Games ( has one of the best cliffhangers ever)
Clear and Present Danger

The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum

Force 10 from Navarone

Someone is on a Jack Ryan and Kevin Bourne kick!
Are you going to watch The Guns of Navarone next?
I did that last night.

BTW, the name is Jason Bourne.

Oh yes, where the heck did I come up with Kevin?

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 8:29 pm

Kevin... lol!

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 3:09 am

Staybrite wrote:

Oh yes, where the heck did I come up with Kevin?
What are you watching? - Page 5 Giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7iyc5ox7l5gu2lfiy0ry3gtw5j9nknuba9eoy6gns&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy

Staybrite and Guilty/Forgiven like this post

Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 3:11 am

The Towering Inferno

Oh wow, I had forgotten this one was 3 hours long. Worth it!

Staybrite and kerrick like this post

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 7:52 pm

kerrick wrote:
^I haven't seen The Chosen - nor do I have any plans to - but everything I've read about it is quite alarming to me.  It's produced by Mormons and they have a mixed-faith board of folks who approve what gets put into the show.  I have a special needs friend who loves it and exclaimed how he never knew that one of the disciples (Matthew or Luke, I think?) was autistic.  Of course there's no evidence that he ever was, but that's how they portrayed him in the show and therefore my friend thought it was true.  That's a relatively harmless and benign "artistic liberty", but it seems like they're getting more and more brazen with their changes and additions as time goes on, and the director himself has said some pretty theologically out-there stuff in interviews and whatnot.  I suggest going with your gut on this one and avoiding it!

I've already defended the show once before so won't rehash it again. I quickly looked up where this came from and here is what I consider a very reasonable response if you care to read it, which ironically enough comes from the evangelical member of their "review board". Listening to the board's Roundtable discussions of each episode was as enjoyable as the episodes themselves. I hope they do them for season 4, too.

I am also rather shocked that this is somehow an issue considering the non-Christian material most of you watch or listen to.

Normaniac

Normaniac

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2024 8:56 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
kerrick wrote:

I've already defended the show once before so won't rehash it again. I quickly looked up where this came from and here is what I consider a very reasonable response if you care to read it, which ironically enough comes from the evangelical member of their "review board". Listening to the board's Roundtable discussions of each episode was as enjoyable as the episodes themselves. I hope they do them for season 4, too.

I am also rather shocked that this is somehow an issue considering the non-Christian material most of you watch or listen to.
Your last paragraph: at least the non-Christian stuff I watch doesn't pretend to be Christian.   The opposite is unfortunately true for The Chosen...which features extra Biblical nonsense (Matthew was autistic), and the show has (at least in part) input from Angel studio, run by Mormons.

kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5330
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 2:22 am

I think at the heart of it all, we're all a blaze of contradictions, and need to thank God for His mercy towards us.

I've seen some things in church that I think are awful, however small, yet I've just finished watching Fallout, which is rude, bloodthirsty and dark.  In my mind I can see God shaking his head at me and saying "What on earth are you doing?!"

Again, I thank God for his grace and mercy to someone such as me.

With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.

Staybrite and kerrick like this post

Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 pm

Quote :
I've just finished watching Fallout, which is rude, bloodthirsty and dark

Oh that's good to know. I no longer plan on watching it then.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 8:32 pm

Normaniac wrote:
topshot rhit wrote:
Your last paragraph: at least the non-Christian stuff I watch doesn't pretend to be Christian.   The opposite is unfortunately true for The Chosen...which features extra Biblical nonsense (Matthew was autistic), and the show has (at least in part) input from Angel studio, run by Mormons.

If they were somehow trying to conceal the extra Biblical stuff or pass it off as fact, that would be one thing but they've been very forthcoming in my opinion about taking certain liberties to tell a story and get people more interested in Jesus and the Bible.

Do you have some kind of proof that Matthew wasn't autistic, and why does it matter if he was or wasn't?

And please list specifics on the Mormon doctrines that are contained in any episode. I would love to know what I have apparently glossed over.

Normaniac

Normaniac

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2024 2:12 am

Proof that Matthew wasn't autistic? Holy argument from silence, Batman!

Maybe Paul/James/John et. al. Should have applied your "logic" and partnered with the Gnostics and Judaizers, since you think it's alright for Dallas Jenkins to work with Mormons. Whether or not there's verifiable Mormon doctrine on The Chosen is irrelevant. We as Christians are commanded not to join forces with adherents of other religions while spreading the Gospel, especially ones who deny the atonement of Jesus Christ.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2024 2:52 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Quote :

I just started watching it.  And I agree it is rude and dark and bloody gross.  It also has a weird sense of humor and almost no basis in reality.  As long as it doesn't get too sexual I'm going to keep watching it.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2024 7:27 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Quote :

I just started watching it.  And I agree it is rude and dark and bloody gross.  It also has a weird sense of humor and almost no basis in reality.  As long as it doesn't get too sexual I'm going to keep watching it.
I wanted to watch it cuz at one time I really enjoyed playing the video game, but don't anymore... too much violence and language
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2024 3:44 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Quote :

I wanted to watch it cuz at one time I really enjoyed playing the video game, but don't anymore... too much violence and language

I've never played the game but my oldest son has played all of them. For some reason I don't have a huge problem with violence, but too much bad language is a "trigger" for me an nudity/sex stuff is horrible for me.

Guilty/Forgiven likes this post

Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2024 12:47 pm

topshot rhit wrote:

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it primarily comes down to a matter of reverence and truth.  For me it's easy to compartmentalize stuff that's purely for entertainment, and that which deepens and grows our understanding and love for our Savior.  (For the record, I used to watch so much absolute garbage but that's something I believe God has been sanctifying me in over the past 10 or so years, though there's still work to be done!)  The Chosen show ascribes words to Jesus that He never said.  In my opinion, that should be reason enough for any Christian to flee.  It's impossible to not stray from His true character and not project man's own image upon Him.  The Jesus of The Chosen is NOT the true Jesus - even if most of what is said on the TV show is not necessarily outside of what He may have said or done.  It's very irreverent, but also dangerous - especially for the undiscerning new and not-yet believers.  Jenkins is quoted as saying Mormons are brothers and sisters - that we believe in the "same Jesus."  Any Christian who knows anything about Mormonism knows that's patently false, and if Jenkins truly believes that... then I would argue he doesn't know the real Jesus and should not be trusted to teach biblical Truth.  The biggest argument for watching The Chosen is that "it helps me grow in my faith" but is it wise to seek out teaching and growing your faith from someone who has an extremely distorted - arguably heretical - view of our Lord?

Normaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2024 5:31 pm

kerrick wrote:
topshot rhit wrote:

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it primarily comes down to a matter of reverence and truth.  For me it's easy to compartmentalize stuff that's purely for entertainment, and that which deepens and grows our understanding and love for our Savior.  (For the record, I used to watch so much absolute garbage but that's something I believe God has been sanctifying me in over the past 10 or so years, though there's still work to be done!)  The Chosen show ascribes words to Jesus that He never said.  In my opinion, that should be reason enough for any Christian to flee.  It's impossible to not stray from His true character and not project man's own image upon Him.  The Jesus of The Chosen is NOT the true Jesus - even if most of what is said on the TV show is not necessarily outside of what He may have said or done.  It's very irreverent, but also dangerous - especially for the undiscerning new and not-yet believers.  Jenkins is quoted as saying Mormons are brothers and sisters - that we believe in the "same Jesus."  Any Christian who knows anything about Mormonism knows that's patently false, and if Jenkins truly believes that... then I would argue he doesn't know the real Jesus and should not be trusted to teach biblical Truth.  The biggest argument for watching The Chosen is that "it helps me grow in my faith" but is it wise to seek out teaching and growing your faith from someone who has an extremely distorted - arguably heretical - view of our Lord?

I would argue that most Christians (at least those mature and strong in their faith, like Topshot) are not at all confusing the words coming from actor portraying Jesus in the show with the actual words of Jesus.
As a matter of fact after watching several of the of the episodes I went to the gospels myself and reread the passages ascribed to Jesus and nearly all I could find was spot on (at least in the words that mattered).  The makers of the show even provide a disclaimer before the show that indicate it is a work of fiction.  There are even several episodes where Jesus is either mostly absent or not even featured as a major player in that episode.  From what I can tell the main focus is on the disciples and their families.  The one thing watching the show has given me is a reminder that the people Jesus chose to follow him where just people.  For me the show has made them more "human"....but it certainly hasn't made Jesus more human.  It is clear that he is the Messiah (on the show and in the bible), so much of the "extra" dialog doesn't even come directly from Jesus, but from the people in the bible around him.

I can understand someone not wanting to watch the series (I wasn't sure about it at first myself), but if you are worried about a fictional television show containing people from the bible venturing into heretical territory I hope you are as diligent with all the other Christian television and movies you watch, as well as the Christian music you listen to.  If the creators of that "Christian" entertainment content do not meet the authorial intent of our Creator 100% are you going to turn your back on their works?  Or will you allow them "artistic license" to interpret what they have read in the scriptures?  

I know Kerrick didn't bring this up (and my post isn't for him or him alone), but there is no statement in the Chosen series that I have seen indicating that Matthew is autistic.  He is definitely quirky (as are some of the others in the series). and some might assume a modern doctor could label him a very high functioning autistic...but Matthew's "condition" isn't a pivotal point in the series.  Remember if you haven't seen the series for yourself you are basing your condemnation on what someone else wrote (or said) probably also for entertainment and/or monetary value (maybe even with an agenda).  I'm certainly not saying you need to watch the series to make a decision about whether or not to watch it, but having an impassioned, finger-pointing conviction against a television show you have never seen is probably not the best way to approach your brothers and sisters in Christ (some of you appear to be at the point of nearly accusing some of us of heresy if we chose to continue watching).  Frankly I think our unity might be better served by dropping this subject (I for one am sorry I ever brought it up).  Please continue to love each other and allow each other grace in the same manner that most of you have here for years (almost 2 decades for some of you).

topshot rhit likes this post

Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2024 6:10 pm

I hear ya Gary and I'll go ahead and drop the conversation for the sake of unity.  A couple points of clarification though before I do:

That's great if God's using this show to get you or anyone in the Word and to dig deeper.  I'd think everyone would probably be better off if they just went to the source material directly, but in the end I'm just glad folks are reading their Bibles (something I can improve on in my own life)!

I do try to be consistently diligent with the biblical information I'm putting into my head and heart - and my family's.  This stuff shapes our perceptions and understandings of our Creator and Lord - however subtly it may be.

Regarding Matthew, it was actually a special-needs friend of mine who told me about how Matthew was depicted in the show.  My friend loves the show and exclaimed to me something to the effect of, "I had no idea Matthew was autistic; how cool is that?"  My sample size is very small, but here's one person who was deceived by the show into believing something false.  As you said, it's a pretty minor and benign detail - but when he told me that I immediately began wondering what else he and others have been fooled into believing.

If I came across as suggesting anyone is heretical for watching the show, I am terribly sorry!  Sure, I think it unwise, but certainly nowhere near a salvation issue, let alone even a sin issue!!!  Please understand that I never intended to put anyone's eternal salvation in question over watching a TV show!!!  And you're right Gary, I haven't ever watched the show and am basing my opinions on what I've read online and what a few of my friends who really love the show have told me.  So y'all can take my opinion with a-quarter-grain-of-salt instead of the usual half.  Wink  Please know that I didn't mean to finger-point but rather just respond to the question posed on whether someone should watch it or not.

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 7:26 pm

Rebel Moon : The Scargiver

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 7:42 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Rebel Moon : The Scargiver

I re-watched the first movie last night so I can watch the second one here tonight.

alldatndensum likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are you watching?
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next