Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are you watching?

Go down 
+7
Xid
Fundy
topshot rhit
MikeInFla
rockerVu2
Staybrite
alldatndensum
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3876
Registration date : 2007-01-30

What are you watching? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2024 10:02 pm

The Trouble With Harry (1955)

Staybrite wrote:
I don't think I've watched anything memorable in the last week.  But my wife is watching that series "The Chosen" and is trying to convince me to watch it.  I know several people here have seen it.  What did you think?  I'm always a little leery of Gospel based series/movies due the high potential for heresy or too much weird extra-biblical content.

I personally love The Chosen series. Sure, it takes a lot of license because we just plain don't know the backstory to the disciples (or even Jesus really), but they try to stick with what is plausible - could this have happened? Language used is more modern. Regardless of how far it may be from what really happened, it causes you to think about events in a whole new light. I think they've been extremely clever on how they have tied different events and/or people together. I know there are Christians that slam it like just about anything else Christian, and I'd say those people are clearly missing the point. I highly recommend it. Oh, and yes, first season is a bit slower and disjointed so at least get through season 2.

alldatndensum, Staybrite and Guilty/Forgiven like this post

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23458
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2024 6:28 pm

topshot rhit wrote:

Staybrite wrote:
I don't think I've watched anything memorable in the last week.  But my wife is watching that series "The Chosen" and is trying to convince me to watch it.  I know several people here have seen it.  What did you think?  I'm always a little leery of Gospel based series/movies due the high potential for heresy or too much weird extra-biblical content.

I personally love The Chosen series. Sure, it takes a lot of license because we just plain don't know the backstory to the disciples (or even Jesus really), but they try to stick with what is plausible - could this have happened? Language used is more modern. Regardless of how far it may be from what really happened, it causes you to think about events in a whole new light. I think they've been extremely clever on how they have tied different events and/or people together. I know there are Christians that slam it like just about anything else Christian, and I'd say those people are clearly missing the point. I highly recommend it. Oh, and yes, first season is a bit slower and disjointed so at least get through season 2.

Cool, thanks!

alldatndensum likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2564
Registration date : 2007-06-03

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2024 6:48 am

Well I just got my tix to go see Dune part 2 in IMAX!

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23480

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2024 4:35 pm

topshot rhit wrote:

Staybrite wrote:

Holly and I have been watching this and we have the exact same feelings about it.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/

Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 17, 2024 9:59 pm

topshot rhit wrote:

I should add 2 things. It could cause confusion for a new Christian who doesn't know the Bible well and doesn't watch any of their other Youtube or app content that goes over the concept of how the show is presenting the gospel storyline. In other words accepting the episodes as gospel, which was clearly not the intention.

I would also highly recommend watching the Biblical Roundtables on each episode, which features a discussion amongst Dallas and the 3 Biblical scholars (Catholic, Jewish and Evangelical) that helped critique the scripts. They go into some of the pros and cons and reasons behind the decisions they made and are in themselves rather insightful. However, I think those are only available via the free Chosen app.

Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2024 10:38 am

topshot rhit wrote:
topshot rhit wrote:

I should add 2 things. It could cause confusion for a new Christian who doesn't know the Bible well and doesn't watch any of their other Youtube or app content that goes over the concept of how the show is presenting the gospel storyline. In other words accepting the episodes as gospel, which was clearly not the intention.

I would also highly recommend watching the Biblical Roundtables on each episode, which features a discussion amongst Dallas and the 3 Biblical scholars (Catholic, Jewish and Evangelical) that helped critique the scripts. They go into some of the pros and cons and reasons behind the decisions they made and are in themselves rather insightful. However, I think those are only available via the free Chosen app.

Oh wow, interesting.  I'll have to look those up.  I did watch the first two episodes with her and do find it quite interesting.
She (my wife) told me that the first season (or at least most of it) was crowd funded.

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2024 9:48 pm

I believe it remains mostly crowd funded. They did change the org structure a bit over a year ago where fundraising is now handled through Come and See Foundation, which is actually a 501c3 org so now tax deductible. They have gained momentum with each season and word has spread so I expect the remaining 3 seasons will get made each year as planned.

Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2024 7:16 am

The Equalizer 3

This one wasn’t as brutal as the first two but does have its moments. A very good and smart story. In the end it gives him a very happy ending where he can fully retire and enjoy life.
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 23, 2024 8:07 pm

Les Miserables (2018, a BBC production on PBS)

While I really like the musical movies, this is a great one. This is a TV mini-series with 6 one hour episodes. This gives them the chance to really flesh out the book and tell so much more that you can’t see in a 2 hour movie.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/les-miserables/

Staybrite and Fundy like this post

Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5340
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2024 2:29 am

I'm quite looking forward to the new Fallout TV series.  Hopefully it won't be too woke, but I've played some of Fallout 4 on the PS4 and found it a really enjoyable experience.

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Hardkore

Hardkore

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2024 12:03 pm

I had a pleasant surprise this morning. I am not usually off on Saturday so I didn’t know what to expect. I started channel surfing and came across MeTV showing Bugs Bunny and Friends Loony Toons. I hadn’t seen them in ages so had to sit and enjoy them again.

Staybrite, MikeInFla and Xid like this post

Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3123
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 8:01 am

Yeah MeTV has been showing Sat morning cartoons for a while but I never remember to watch!

Just started Star Trek DS9. Haven’t seen it since it originally aired. Some of the episodes I completely forgot about. One thing is that it kind of looks like crap. It’s not in HD on Paramount+ but I can live with that.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 10:37 am

The Homesman (2014?) A western with Hillary Swank and Tommy Lee Jones.  Odd movie, and quite depressing.  I don't recommend it.

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 10:38 pm

I started a new series on Pureflix called "County Rescue".  If you decide to watch it, you might see my ugly mug in episodes 5 & 6.  I was an extra for the show.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 29, 2024 8:49 pm

Dune part 2

I had never read the book so I didn’t know how it was to end. I saw the 84 movie and enjoyed it. Yet it had a lot of people saying they didn’t like it. After seeing this (and assuming it is by the book) I can see why it got a lot of flak.  

This basically picked up right where the last movie left off. A great sequel that ends reeking of “to be continued.” I guess they will pick up in the next movie which would be based on the next book called Dune Messiah.

If you go to see it,  be sure to wait for the post credit scene.

Fundy likes this post

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 29, 2024 9:16 pm

The Soloist

Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2024 8:23 pm

Hardkore wrote:
Dune part 2

I had never read the book so I didn’t know how it was to end. I saw the 84 movie and enjoyed it. Yet it had a lot of people saying they didn’t like it. After seeing this (and assuming it is by the book) I can see why it got a lot of flak.  

This basically picked up right where the last movie left off. A great sequel that ends reeking of “to be continued.” I guess they will pick up in the next movie which would be based on the next book called Dune Messiah.

I've read all the original novels by Frank Herbert, but it has been decades ago.  IIRC none of of the stories seem to really "end" and each novel just gets a little weirder as they go along.  People have to remember that often times books don't translate well to movies if left completely unedited.  The first Dune movie ('84 from David Lynch with Kyle McLaughlin) wasn't really that great.  It seemed like a major portion of the film was whispered voice-overs showing people's thoughts... it got old really fast.

Fundy

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2024 1:40 am

Hardkore wrote:
Dune part 2

Thanks for the tip.  I'm seeing it today, I'll hang about til the end Smile

1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2024 7:47 am

A Walk in My Shoes

The Chosen Season 4 (just finished the season in theater last night, which ends as triumphal entry is about to occur)

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 9:19 pm

We will have to wait for the streaming release of The Chosen season 4.  We did finish the three previous seasons.

Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 1:35 am

Fundy wrote:
Hardkore wrote:
Dune part 2

Post credit scene?

1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.

Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08, 2024 12:04 pm

Fundy wrote:
Fundy wrote:
Hardkore wrote:
Dune part 2

Post credit scene?
I had assumed there was one. I left when the credits started. After I got home I looked it up on wiki and it mentioned something that I didn’t see at the end.

Above Arrakis, the Great Houses refuse to accept Paul's ascendancy, so Paul orders the Fremen to attack the orbiting fleet in response. As Stilgar leads the Fremen onto captured Sardaukar ships, Jessica and Alia reflect that this is the beginning
 of Muad'Dib's holy war. A heartbroken Chani refuses to bow to Paul and departs on a sandworm.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune:_Part_Two
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2024 12:17 pm

Damsel (2024) a Netflix film.  Both the wife and I enjoyed this.  If you like dragons and swords and castle type fantasy films you will probably like this one.  Millie Bobby Brown did a great job as the reluctant heroine.  This is the way you make a movie with a strong female protagonist.  Instead of turning Spiderman or Jack Sparrow into a female and rebooting the franchise with a woke agenda.  As a matter of fact I didn't see a lot of modern political agenda nonsense in the film at all.  Certainly worth watching IMO.

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3123
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2024 12:29 pm

Finally got around to watching Doctor Sleep. If you like The Shining you should like this creepy movie.

Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3507
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2024 3:17 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Damsel (2024) a Netflix film.  Both the wife and I enjoyed this.  If you like dragons and swords and castle type fantasy films you will probably like this one.  Millie Bobby Brown did a great job as the reluctant heroine.  This is the way you make a movie with a strong female protagonist.  Instead of turning Spiderman or Jack Sparrow into a female and rebooting the franchise with a woke agenda.  As a matter of fact I didn't see a lot of modern political agenda nonsense in the film at all.  Certainly worth watching IMO.

Here's a different take on that flick.  [MAJOR spoilers!]
https://notthebee.com/takes/netflixs-damsel-is-the-feminist-epitome-of-the-alliance-between-eve-and-the-serpent-lets-unpack-it

I haven't seen the movie but the author makes some convincing points here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you watching?   What are you watching? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are you watching?
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next